Things to Do in December at Lake Chelan
December is a merry month, usually fast-paced and filled with festivities. This year, things will be different, at a slower pace and more distanced, but it can be just as festive! For 2020, Chelan’s annual Small Town Christmas event will be changed to smaller-scale events, but there are many things to do for the holidays in Chelan and new ways to enjoy lights, music, and decorations.
What is the December forecast at Lake Chelan?
It’s getting chilly! Many days are bright and sunny, but with an average high of 34 degrees, December in Chelan is distinctly winter. The cold but clear weather can feel pretty amazing for those stuck in a drizzly grey cloud (sound familiar, Seattle?)
Speaking of precipitation, we should mention….snow! There’s a good chance that snow will cover the surrounding hills, and we will see some lakeside flakes, too. In fact, December weather in Chelan almost always includes several inches of snowfall. The beauty of the Chelan Valley in the snow is something you will want to see!
What is there to do in December at Lake Chelan?
If you make The Lookout your home around the holidays, follow our ideas for what to do in Chelan in December: outdoor adventures, relaxing in your Chelan vacation home, and taking in the decorative sights and events around town!
Slow down. You’re on vacation, after all! Sleep in, play games, read a book, sip wine by the fire.
Enjoy the snow. Who knows when you’ll see it next? A walk around The Lookout neighborhood in the snow is lovely, with pretty colorful homes, sweeping views of the snowy mountains and lake, and sparkling lights of downtown. Or, enjoy the snow by really being in it, on skis, a sled, or snowshoes! Echo Ridge Nordic Ski area (just 10 miles from Chelan) is an all-levels, uncrowded, extensive system of trails.
Take in the sights. The Lake Chelan Valley will be dressed up in lights, decorations, and fireworks! On the day after Thanksgiving, the lights turn on (at 5:30 pm to be exact) and more fun follows.
This year’s holiday things to do in Chelan in December:
- Neighborhood visits from Santa
- Lady of the Lake Boat Parade: Ride on the boat or watch the light parade from The Lookout waterfront or hilltop (or maybe even the deck of your vacation home!)
- Fireworks: This year there will be SIX nights of fireworks in Chelan and Manson in November and December
- Winery events: Check out this calendar or your favorite winery’s website for their holiday happenings
- Driving tour of holiday lights: Homes and businesses can enter their addresses to participate in a tour of lights, and viewers can vote on the best displays!
- Local shopping: Check out the shops in downtown Chelan and Manson to support small businesses for holiday shopping. Curbside pickup is available in some locations.
Make time for a getaway to Lake Chelan to create new holiday traditions and memories. If you have flexibility with remote work, school, or vacation schedule, plan for an extended stay at The Lookout! Over 20 of our vacation homes are available at special rates for two to four week stays, even through the holidays and new year. Call to learn more.
Hope your holidays are happy and healthy this year!